- 2 Cups Tomato Coarsely chopped & Peeled
- 1 Cup Onion Coarsely chopped
- 1 Cup Green Sweet Pepper Coarsely chopped
- 1/2 Cup Hot Banana Peppers Hot
- 3/4 Tsp Sea Salt
- 3/4 Tsp Coriander Ground
- 3/4 Tsp Cumin Ground
- 2 Tbsp CARM Præmium Olive Oil Extra Virgin
- 1/4 Cup Garlic
- 2-3 Tbsp Water
- 2 Tbsp Basil Fresh, snipped
- 6 6-7" Whole Wheat or White Pita Bread Rounds
- 4 Oz Mozzarella Thinly Sliced
- 3 Large Heirloom Tomatoes Cut into 1/4" thick slices
- 4 Oz Feta Cheese Plain or flavored. Crumbled
In a large bowl, combine chopped tomato, onion, peppers, salt, coriander and cumin. Add olive oil; toss to coat. Spread mixture evenly in a 15x10x1-inch baking pan. Roast, uncovered, in a 400 degrees oven for 30 minutes, stirring once. Stir in garlic cloves. Return to oven. Roast 20 minutes more or until the garlic is soft and the other vegetables are charred, stirring once. Let cool slightly.
Transfer vegetable mixture to a medium bowl. Using an immersion blender, blend until mixture is a chunky puree. (Or transfer to a food processor. Cover and pulse with several on/off turns until mixture is a chunky puree.) If needed, add 2 to 3 tablespoons water to mixture to get a spreadable consistency. (Mixture can be made to this point a day ahead. Cover and chill.) Stir basil into vegetable puree just before using.
Place pitas on two large baking sheets lined with foil. Bake in a 400 degrees oven for 5 to 7 minutes or until light brown. Spread tops of pitas with Roasted Summer Vegetable Puree. Top with mozzarella cheese, tomato slices and feta cheese. Return baking sheet to oven.
Bake for 5 to 7 minutes more or until cheeses soften and tomatoes are heated through. Cut each pita into four wedges. Serve warm or at room temperature.